Sunday, 29 May 2011

Audio/ E Books - Task 22

Hmmm... again, I'm feeling some resistance to this one... I love my book collection. I love the feeling of a book in your hand and even how it looks on the shelf, I love the smell of books and love scouring second hand bookstores for a 'find'. I must say I do also love audio books for the classroom for shared reading experiences, comprehension and listening activities but E books on the other had haven't quite reached me... yet??? I've said before I don't feel like an N generation-er and I think this also sets me apart from my younger acquaintances. I tutor a girl whose school is now all on i pads and where all their text books and research materials are on the i pad. Surely it makes the school bag lighter, but at what cost? I was helping her research for an assignment and found my brain really struggled with having to 'flip' back and forth from each 'ebook'. I remember, back in my day... sprawling all my books out and going from one to the next to find notes and quotes and while it made a heck more mess, it seemed to make more sense to me. Another downfall for the e book is that you are reading from a screen and for me, after a day of trying to sort through and read my many unread emails and RSS feeds, checking out whats new on You Tube, collaboratively planning using a google doc, 'catching up' on Facebook with friends and placing my online shopping order, the last thing I want to do in my 'down time' is look at a computer screen again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment